Friday, November 18, 2005

Bruschetta Is Fun!

Bruschetta epitomizes Italian fun food. I learned to make it back in Southern Italy when I joined a workcamp to help restore a monastery through Servizio Civile Internazionale. On August 15th, high holiday in Italia as it's the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin, the entire village of Sicignano gathered for Mass at the monastery. After Mass we prayed the Rosary and then had a party. I wasn't religious back then but I was so inspired by these people and the beauty of that moment. It was then and there in the mountains of the province of Salerno that I learned to make bruschetta. Toasted bread, chopped up tomatoes, oregano, and olive oil come together in this delicious and very basic first course.

The second course was tilapia fish and spinach. Both were right out of the freezer. The fish had been in there for months. I was a little scared to eat it but it was fine and the spinach was in one of those little boxes. Overall, I have to say that this dinner was a big success!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Dear Julianne,

August 15th is the feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. It is a very significant feast day to me. It is the name of church where you married, Church of the Assumpta, it is the name of the Church in Westport. Its the day Grandma passed away, and the eve that Patsy died. It is a very special day. THE ASSUMPTION. Love, Mother

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home